Family matters, or relationship disputes, are pretty stressful, as it is. Considering that most have to be resolved in court, you can see that it usually turns into a non-ending process, with a lot of fighting and arguments, but no actual solution.
As soon as you enter the dispute, which you see as possibly complicated or stressful, you should search and hire an attorney. The fact that no one can dismiss is that a lawyer plays a crucial role, both in presenting your side in the process, and being a type of emotional support as well, as everything that is happening during that time can be pretty harsh and unknown to a client.
I can tell you, and no one can dispute with that, that every year there are more and more lawyers, both in USA and the world in general.
Some become lawyers because they did not know what else to be, and others because they love justice and the task of helping people out. So with this many attorneys, how can you know which one to choose, considering your case?
Well, you should get educated a little bit on how the court room works, and what are the qualities of a good, in this case, family lawyer, and after you have done that, go and search for one that fits.
There are few traits that you might want your future attorney to poses, of which some are more, and some are less obvious:
- The first one is probably going to be a surprise, and it is integrity. Believe it or not, this one is actually the most important. Your lawyer has to be objective, and to tell you about possible weakness and strengths of your case, so you know how to approach it. If he keeps saying that everything is okay from the start, and that you two got this, it is not good. Just imagine that you go to a doctor, do testing, and results indicate that you suffer from the serious medical condition; and on all that, docket approaches you and tell you that you are fine; you are going to feel better than, but in the long term, it cannot be good.
- The second one is expected, though apparently not common. Your lawyer should be available and able to communicate in any reasonable part of the day. If you call him, and no one responds, he should only call back, as that is his duty. You do not need to speak with his paralegal, because he is the one presenting and advising you in the case, and you are paying him.
- They say patience is a virtue, and that is true. Along with perseverance, your attorney must possess this one. This saying, you should not hire a lawyer, who tends to lose his temper and at the end actually blames himself. You are allowed that emotions take over you from time to time, as what you are going through are not pleasant at all, but your lawyer should be there to support you. Also, a lawyer must approach your case strategically and have maximum focus till you win the case.
- Yes, there are a lot of skills that a lawyer can possess, but the preparation one is among most important. Your lawyer should have prepared all necessary paperwork, long before you actually enter the court. This is critical, as often full cases are decided on who has submitted paperwork, that might deeply inform on the case. If the paralegal is doing it for him, that cannot be tolerated.
- Creativity is the last, but not the least trait that your lawyer should have. In a court battle between two lawyers often creativity plays a deciding role, as it gives an option that your opponent can get outmaneuvered. In some cases, this is even more important than having a strict lawyer, excellent from analytical sides, but not really skilled once he needs to think out of the box.
Basically, court cases that you go through, with disputed family members, can really affect your future, so you should aim to get an attorney there is, and do everything in your power, to come out as a winner.